Thursday, March 26, 2009

Catching up...

Excursion to South of France:


Much, much earlier this month, the university took us to the South of France, across the barely noticeable border thanks to one of the miracles that the European Union has worked..crossing the border was less noticeable than crossing state lines in the US. We saw lots of things..well, ok maybe not that many. We went to a small town called Bayonne, which, our noble tour guide told us is possibly where the bayonnet comes from.




Saw the cathedral there that is made of sandstone:






















and had really awesome window work...among other things, of course, such as gargoyles.














After walking around the church, and establishing that ..maybe 1 student actually knew coherent French...our wonderful tourguides took us down another street to show us delicious chocolate and pastry shops and cafés told us to come back to the meeting place in a couple hours so we could go get lunch.

we hoarded around a while, the chocolate is famous there, because when Spain was into the whole Jew expulsion phase, a bunch of Jewish chocolatiers went to the closest and next best thing: South France..so now they have all this delicious chocolate

And of course pastries. Who could forget scrumptious French pastries? Not this kid.















A few of us wandered into a café that we were told had some exceptionally wonderful hot chocolate. It turned out to be everything we could have hoped for and more.















After this we went to an outdoor market and bought old postcards, most of them involved romantic pictures. I think the oldest one I got was from around 1917 (this one has writing in German on the back) and the most recent was from the early 1930´s. They are really pretty, and we thought the love theme was cliché (or, at least, I kind of did)..but perfect none-the-less.

I should mention now, that this weekend ended up being probably the most gluttonous weekend of my LIFE...and it started with the hot chocolate.

The real gluttony actually started with lunch...but that´s another story for another day, because right now I have to prepare for class in half an hour, and this weekend I´m taking trip to Pamplona!

Ciao!

3 comments:

  1. MMMMM. SO JEALOUS!!!!! I wish I could have been there. We would have eaten SO MUCH. lololol.

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG Jums..I wish you could have been there too! and it was so pretty!

    ReplyDelete