Wednesday, March 7, 2012
Happy Women's Day (tomorrow)! :)
Women's Day started in the US in 1908, and spread across the world - sending the message of the desire...or demand..for the same social, political, and economic rights for women that men receive. It is celebrated all over the world, and is a national holiday in Russia. When I was in Spain on Women's Day (actually the first time I'd really heard about it), my host mom and her friends (including one friend's husband) went out to a most spectacular lunch at a restaurant that was near an old castle technically blocked to the public, but everyone generally ignores the "Do Not Enter" signs and gates. ;) Also, this day is marked in my own personal history as the fattest day I have ever survived...and was only one day in a 3-day weekend of the fattest weekend I have ever survived..sometimes gluttony is totally worth it.
So Women's Day is internationally known, but in case you don't know, at this website you will find a short video and a brief timeline of International Women's Day. :)
Apparently this is the era of war against things:
The most recent thing ("War on Christmas" was the previous thing), involves women's rights, it's a certain bill being discussed, maybe you've heard about it..I don't have time for a political opinion segment now, but it is just a little something about women and birth control being covered on insurance and stuff...anyways, here's another article from the NYTimes, this time about some of the side effects that come from attacks targeting Planned Parenthood: http://www.nytimes.com/2012/03/08/us/texas-womens-clinics-retreat-as-finances-are-cut.html?_r=1&ref=us
Here is the actual document from the Federal Register Online via the Government Printing Office: http://www.regulations.gov/#!documentDetail;D=IRS-2010-0017-1015
and the original that lies at the very root of what's going on now: Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act of 2010 via http://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/search/home.action it's interesting to see how something that starts as one thing can receive so many amendments that it changes nature completely.
I just wanted to mention this, in the spirit of Women's Day and all.
ciao ciao!! :)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment