Friday, November 25, 2011

Be thankful for freedom of speech if nothing else

I'm thankful for a lot of things, but lately I'm especially grateful for relative lack of internet censorship and general liberties that many Americans (myself included at times) take for granted.

Not censorship, propaganda on the rise

Cuban regime fears bloggers more than "traditional" dissidents
     and here's why: This is the blog of a woman, a Cuban woman living in Havana telling the world about daily life in Cuba - telling the truth of what goes on beyond the tourist areas, and under their [tourist's] noses; about (borderline) starvation, and the cynicism that has developed in response to shamelessly empty lies fed to them by the government.  At first she could only blog from tourist areas, since Cubans didn't have access to the internet - she would dress up as a tourist, and pretend to speak only German (she spent some time in Switzerland).  She has been arrested, more than once, but she keeps on blogging, AND she also has published a book.
   and on a related note: (2009) Cuba further limits internet access in what could be an attempt to silence bloggers.

Cuban Black Spring

OpenNet Initiative is a website that investigates, analyzes, and exposes Internet filtering and surveillance practices. There are country profiles and linked articles, even a couple of books (all online, no download/purchase necessary)

These are just a few things I've found tonight, but I may post more links later on...


ciao for now! ;)

PS. the mideast is on fire..what about cuba?

PPS. Also, be thankful for those who have fought for our freedom to express ourselves in any of the many methods available today - thanks to the troops.

"I disagree with what you say,
I totally disagree with it,
but I would defend with my life your right to say it."
-Voltaire

No comments:

Post a Comment