Friday, January 30, 2009

Blue skies

The weather is suuuuuper nice today. A whole 16 degrees. Celsius (I think that is the upper 60s...maybe low 70s).

I got up this morning and went for a walk to the beach and walked around there for a while, bought more postcards, which got me in the mood to post a blog. ^_^

I decided to write the postcards while I drank a Clara, which is a glass, 1/2 filled with sweetened soda water (like Sprite), and the other 1/2 with beer (the 2 I have had have been with Heineken). I know what you´re thinking, because I thought that sounded weird and like it wouldn´t taste good, but don´t. It really is delicious. The guy who picked up my drink after I was done, had seen me writing the postcards and asked if I was from out of town, and I said "yes, I´m from the United States." and then he said that I speak Spanish very well, and if I´d learned here. I explained to him where I learned, but I forgot about what I learned in conversation class last week, about accepting compliments. About how you are supposed to downplay anything you are complimented about, like if somebody compliments your sweater or whatever, you say something along the lines of "oh this? oh, it´s nothing special." or "Really? oh well blahblahblah, I got it for 3 € from gypsies". Well, I added that "from gypsies" part just now because this girl in my class was telling me about her bag that she bought from gypsies. Because they are literally EVERYWHERE. it´s amazing. I want to go and buy something from gypsies hahaha. but I don´t want to go by myself, that seems like an obviously bad idea...

But back to what I was talking about, taking compliments: never has been something I especially like, or am good at. You are supposed to downplay things you are complimented about because otherwise you sound like you are completely full of yourself or just poorly educated. usually I just kind of chuckle and look down or, at least in America, about sweaters, I do downplay it a lot. But what do I say about speaking Spanish? Oh, I really suck, though..just wait until I try to tell a story. Nevermind that I suck at telling stories in English (I am bad at it in English (and I really am worse in Spanish. haha), like some people are bad at telling jokes, I´m bad at stories...and jokes. hahaha double whammy!)

I could say that I bought my Spanish skills from gypsies down the river. I think I´ll do that next time. hehe ;)

There is a party tonight a discoteca in Bilbao, and my fellow classmates and I get free admission (until 11:30 only, though)

On Wednesday my host mom and her friend and I went to El Museo de Bellas Artes and it was great. I need to go back when I have more time because we were kind of rushed. But the exhibit that I liked most is leaving today. (sadface) It was a series painted by Sorolla, and there was a painting or mural for every region of Spain, from the early 1900s. For example, this one is for Valencia. It looks a lot better big. And in real life.

Well, I have homework to do before the party tonight.

¡Hasta luego! :)

4 comments:

  1. I had the weirdest dream about Aaron. Like I had chills because he was sooooo creepy in my dream. Ya. That's all. Enjoy the party! =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm a bad person in Jummie's dreams, which kind of makes me wonder how she REALLY feels about me

    ReplyDelete
  3. Also, you gotta buy me something from a gypsy, I want to say I own something bought from one

    ReplyDelete