Monday, January 26, 2009

weather frowns

When you think "Spain weather" what do you think of? Sunshine and temperate beaches or partly cloudy skies with windmills turning gently in a breeze or light wind?

Well, on Friday, we had un ciclón. Yes. In plain English: a hurricane. it wasn´t a bad one. Nah, this one was a baby; it was nothing like the type of attitude the Carribean gets, but trees were knocked down, sections of Bilbao had power outages that lasted 40 or more hours, and the wind. wow. The metro stopped and the Tram was out for even longer.

Winds were forcasted to reach up to 15okm/hr (= 93.2056 mph), and waves to reach between 14m and 16m (14 meters = 45.9317 ft). It started Friday late afternoon/early evening and lasted through Saturday around noon.

Needless to say, we closed the shutters.

There is a sad part to this story, though; some kids were playing baseball or something in a park and a wall was knocked over by the wind and killed at least 2 of them...I think 1 is still in the hospital.

But this type of weather is unheard of here. They normally don´t have tornados, hurricanes (well...), or earthquakes. Everyone I talked to was at least a little freaked out and really surprised at the winds.

It can be nice and warm again any time now. No more of this hail that we´ve been getting, even this morning on my way back from class. Hail? peaches, plz.


heh. That´s all for now.

Laters.

2 comments:

  1. Why would they be playing baseball in high winds?!?!? I would be hiding indoors. But that is still sad. =(


    I had a song play NONSTOP in my head while I slept. It was the weirdest thing. Like I remember it playing all freaking night.

    ReplyDelete
  2. apparently the word hadn´t been sent out about the freakish winds; that, along with a poorly constructed wall made of cinder blocks that weren´t reinforced with anything, and poorly cemented together was the cause.

    And shortly after posting this I saw on the news that 4 boys died, and 9 were hospitalized.

    ReplyDelete